Salman Rashid

Travel writer, Fellow of Royal Geographical Society

The Glory of Storytelling

Bookmark and Share

I think story-tellers are born. You have to be born with this skill and then hone it as you go through life. I suppose the story-tellers we had as children helped to a great deal. These were tellers of tales of kings and queens, bold adventurers and nutty pranksters, of talking birds and djinns who flew through the air – stories that lasted through night after summer night when you lay on the white cotton sheet on the charpai outside. I was an imaginative child who visualized what was told. This also must have helped in some way because then it made me want to tell my story in a similar way.

I become involved very deeply with the people I meet. Kafeel bhai was very endearing and his story was heart-warming.

In the beginning of my writing career starting August 1983, I wrote only about places. People were only incidental. But as I travelled more and more, I started getting more involved with people. They brought warmth to the story. I suppose I got here simply by practice.

Labels:

posted by Salman Rashid @ 2:19 PM,

9 Comments:

At March 1, 2013 at 2:30 PM, Anonymous Kausar Bilal said...

An awesome post, which very first time ignited a keenness for reading travelogues, and specially of Mr. Salman Reshid.

 
At March 1, 2013 at 2:59 PM, Anonymous Salman Rashid said...

~ Thanks Kausar. I am glad.

 
At March 1, 2013 at 3:13 PM, Blogger Jalal Hameed said...

Yes I agree - every man is a story teller: the only thing is that he is unaware of it. As for Salman Raheed's travolgues, these are a superlative degree of story telling.

 
At March 2, 2013 at 5:47 PM, Anonymous Shumaila said...

Ya, You are the best. We need to wakeup to the poser of storytelling.

 
At April 15, 2013 at 2:24 PM, Anonymous Lia said...

Travel writing is storytelling. I know that now.

 
At November 13, 2014 at 11:31 PM, OpenID followyourshadow said...

I agree, story tellers are born with this ability. I'm sure I mentioned this before but I so wish there was more story telling these days. I remember my grandmother's stories till today but can't for the life of me remember the recent books I read or the history I crammed.

I'm glad you write about people. "Warmth" perfectly describes your stories.

Best wishes,
Sonya Kassam

 
At December 6, 2014 at 10:36 AM, Anonymous Jamna said...

Did anyone tell you that you are a great story teller?

 
At September 6, 2017 at 11:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Salman Rashid is a living history of sub continent. His work will be valued long after he is gone.So lets appreciate his presence and extend as much support to him as possible.

 
At September 6, 2017 at 1:56 PM, Blogger Salman Rashid said...

Thank you, Anonymous. Good to know that you appreciate my work.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home




My Books

Deosai: Land of the Gaint - New

The Apricot Road to Yarkand


Jhelum: City of the Vitasta

Sea Monsters and the Sun God: Travels in Pakistan

Salt Range and Potohar Plateau

Prisoner on a Bus: Travel Through Pakistan

Between Two Burrs on the Map: Travels in Northern Pakistan

Gujranwala: The Glory That Was

Riders on the Wind

Books at Sang-e-Meel

Books of Days