Salman Rashid

Travel writer, Fellow of Royal Geographical Society

The Glory of Storytelling

Bookmark and Share

I think story-tellers are born. You have to be born with this skill and then hone it as you go through life. I suppose the story-tellers we had as children helped to a great deal. These were tellers of tales of kings and queens, bold adventurers and nutty pranksters, of talking birds and djinns who flew through the air – stories that lasted through night after summer night when you lay on the white cotton sheet on the charpai outside. I was an imaginative child who visualized what was told. This also must have helped in some way because then it made me want to tell my story in a similar way.

I become involved very deeply with the people I meet. Kafeel bhai was very endearing and his story was heart-warming.

In the beginning of my writing career starting August 1983, I wrote only about places. People were only incidental. But as I travelled more and more, I started getting more involved with people. They brought warmth to the story. I suppose I got here simply by practice.

Labels:

posted by Salman Rashid @ 14:19,

9 Comments:

At 1 March 2013 at 14:30, Anonymous Kausar Bilal said...

An awesome post, which very first time ignited a keenness for reading travelogues, and specially of Mr. Salman Reshid.

 
At 1 March 2013 at 14:59, Anonymous Salman Rashid said...

~ Thanks Kausar. I am glad.

 
At 1 March 2013 at 15:13, Blogger Jalal HB said...

Yes I agree - every man is a story teller: the only thing is that he is unaware of it. As for Salman Raheed's travolgues, these are a superlative degree of story telling.

 
At 2 March 2013 at 17:47, Anonymous Shumaila said...

Ya, You are the best. We need to wakeup to the poser of storytelling.

 
At 15 April 2013 at 14:24, Anonymous Lia said...

Travel writing is storytelling. I know that now.

 
At 13 November 2014 at 23:31, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree, story tellers are born with this ability. I'm sure I mentioned this before but I so wish there was more story telling these days. I remember my grandmother's stories till today but can't for the life of me remember the recent books I read or the history I crammed.

I'm glad you write about people. "Warmth" perfectly describes your stories.

Best wishes,
Sonya Kassam

 
At 6 December 2014 at 10:36, Anonymous Jamna said...

Did anyone tell you that you are a great story teller?

 
At 6 September 2017 at 11:53, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Salman Rashid is a living history of sub continent. His work will be valued long after he is gone.So lets appreciate his presence and extend as much support to him as possible.

 
At 6 September 2017 at 13:56, Blogger Salman Rashid said...

Thank you, Anonymous. Good to know that you appreciate my work.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home




My Books

Deosai: Land of the Gaint - New

The Apricot Road to Yarkand


Jhelum: City of the Vitasta

Sea Monsters and the Sun God: Travels in Pakistan

Salt Range and Potohar Plateau

Prisoner on a Bus: Travel Through Pakistan

Between Two Burrs on the Map: Travels in Northern Pakistan

Gujranwala: The Glory That Was

Riders on the Wind

Books at Sang-e-Meel

Books of Days